A M King partnered with ALDI U.S. to provide property consulting, design and construction of ALDI’s new facility in Loxley, AL. The 570,660-sf divisional headquarters and distribution center will service more than 100 stores in southern Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and the Florida Panhandle.
A M King worked in tandem with ALDI to determine adequate site infrastructure requirements for local economic development incentives and assisted ALDI in acquiring the 150-acre site. Development of this facility is a continued effort to maximize the efficiency of ALDI’s operations through facility design. Some of these elements include use of insulated metal panels (IMP) in lieu of concrete or precast exterior walls; optimum racking organization determined by product analysis; the first ALDI distribution center to utilize cross-docking services; large, unobstructed areas of glazing at the office for outdoor views; and restrooms, locker rooms and maintenance in the central core of the building.
Several design components have been included to facilitate social distancing and sustainable initiatives. Notable initiatives consist of full solar array over dry warehouse; drive-in style dock doors providing a stronger thermal seal; full LED lighting throughout; 6-inch-thick IMP for a thermally tight and efficient building envelope; clerestory windows allowing natural light to offset lighting needs; and floor-to-ceiling curtain walls around two sides of the two-story office space.
- 193,440 sf of dry (ambient temperature) storage
- 23,000 sf of 55-degree storage
- 65,661 sf of 34-degree cooler storage
- 12,896 sf of 30-degree meat storage
- 27,949 sf of 0-degree freezer
- 4,949 sf of -10-degree ice cream freezer
- 46,281 sf of perishable inbound/outbound dock with 38 dock positions
- 82,138 sf of dry inbound/outbound dock with 49 dock positions
- 24,679 sf of class “A” offices
- 2,600 sf outdoor flexible workspace