Cheney Brothers Inc. (CBI), a Southeast-based food distributor, wanted to expand its refrigeration capabilities in North Carolina. A M King provided integrated design-build services for a 169,090-sf cold storage addition in Statesville that allows the company to continue its northward growth path.
The project included renovation of a 34,686-sf existing dry warehouse and conversion of a 37,388-sf existing cold storage space to ambient temperature storage. Notable was the development of a 2,000 sf, full commercial culinary center; construction of a new interior office mezzanine and 25 new dock doors; installation of a 2,000 kW 480V 3-phase generator and a complete LED light overhaul. A M King used 900 tons of steel and 7.534 cubic yards of concrete during the expansion and renovation, all while assisting CBI with maintaining ongoing operations.
The new warehouse also incorporates a fueling station; guardhouse; new fire protection systems and a complex sitework package. Floor warming glycol lines were encased in a 4” mud slab under 5” of floor insulation and 7” shrinkage compensating concrete floor in the freezer and 32-degree cooler.
- -5-degree Freezer: 75,000 sf
- 32-degree Meat Cooler: 29,000 sf
- 34-degree Cooler Dock: 17,000 sf
- 38-degree Produce Cooler: 11,000 sf
- 55-degree Produce Cooler: 8,000 sf
- Ambient Flour Cooler: 21,000 sf
- Maintenance Room: 2,500 sf
- Dry Storage Infill: 3,800 sf
- 155,000-gallon water tank for fire protection
- 16,500-gallon fuel tank for client truck fill up
- 60 mil TPO membrane roof