U.S. Waffle, an international food manufacturer of specialty waffles and pancakes, commissioned A M King to provide integrated design-build services for the renovation of a 310,000-sf building located in downtown Liberty, SC. The project consolidated two existing facilities in Greenville, expanded production capabilities and serves as headquarters for the growing company.
The new bakery houses five production lines with capacity for nine, positioning the company to explore and produce additional breakfast products. A M King’s scope of work included production line layout and design consulting; processing and packaging space build-out; HVAC selection to maintain positive pressure through different stages of the baking process, and electrical coordination.
The project, which exceeds sanitary and food safety standards, is an interesting study in not only how to adapt and reuse an existing building for a new purpose, but also the most effective way to source repurposed construction materials.
- 170,000 sf warehouse
- 84,000 sf food processing area
- 25,000 sf dry storage
- 8,500 sf dry dock space
- 8,500 sf office space
- 1,800 sf QA labs
- 4,515 lf of underground pipe
- 1,100 LED fixtures
- 47,180 ft of conduit
- 217,910 ft of wire/cable
- 450 lf of stainless-steel process piping
- 500 lf of stainless-steel domestic water piping
- 6,000 lf of domestic copper piping
- 2,237 lf of compressed air pip
- 48 new mechanical equipment roof openings
- 7 existing reused mechanical equipment roof openings